Tasks and Deliverables
1-A: Requirements for Remote Sensing Assessments of Unpaved Road Conditions Report - Download!
2-A: State-of-the-Practice of Unpaved Road Condition Assessment Report - Download!
3-A: Remote Sensing the Phenomena of Unpaved Road Conditions Report - Download!
4-A: Candidate and Recommended Remote Sensors for Unpaved Road Condition Asessment Report - Download!
5-A: Candidate and Recommended Remote Sensing Platforms for Unpaved Road Condition Asessment Report - Download!
5-B: Update on URCAS Requirements, Sensors, and Platforms - Download!
5-B: Review and Update on AURA System Requirements, Sensors, and Platforms – Supplemental Report - Download!
6-A: Demonstration Mission Planning System - Download!
6-B: Demonstration Decision Support System - Download!
6-C: Software and Algorithms to Support Unpaved Road Assessment by Remote Sensing Report - Download!
6-D: Deliverable 6-D: Extension of GIS DSS Tools to a Nationwide Assessment Tool for Unpaved Roads - Download!
6-E: Adaptation of AURA Remote Sensing Processing System Software to Include Additional Features and for Commercial Readiness - Download!
7-A: Plans for Field Deployment of Recommended System for Remote Sensing of Unpaved Road Conditions - Download!
7-B: Performance Evaluation of Recommended Remote Sensing System in Unpaved Road Type and Condition Characterization - Download!
8-B: Final Report - Download!
8-C: Transportation Agency Field Demonstration Report - Download!
8-D: Phase II - Final Report - Download!
8-T: Third TAC Meeting Minutes - Download!
9-A: Professional Outreach for Implementation to a Nationwide Audience - Download!
10-A: Commercialization Report on AURA for Day-to-Day Operations - Download!
For more details about the project tasks, see the page titled About the Project.
Task 1: Requirements Definition
Task 2: State of the Practice Assessment
Task 3: Phenomenology
Task 4: Sensor Selection
Task 5: Platform Selection
Task 6: Algorithm and Software Development
Task 6.1: Image Analysis
Task 6.2: Mission Planning and Control
Task 6.3: Decision Support
Task 7: Integration, Testing and Demonstration
Task 8: Reporting and Technical Advisory Committee
Task 9: Professional Outreach
Task 10: Commercialization of URCAS for Day-to-Day Usage
- Organize and meet with the Technical Advisory Committee for assistance in delineating system requirements.
- Create and publish a project website.
- Gather the information regarding the needs of the users and intended use of the system, features and ranges of values characteristic of unpaved road type and condition, concept and constraints of operation, performance, throughput, database requirements, and visualization of results and delivery needs.
- Review existing methods for determining unpaved road condition and techniques for rapid or bulk measurement of such.
- Tabulate the kinds of phenomena affected, the associated algorithms needed to analyze, and rank the general usability of each feature characteristic of unpaved road condition.
- List candidate commercial sensors likely to be able to meet the needs of stakeholders based on definition of the requirements.
- Down-select from the candidate sensors, choosing the optical sensor for project requirements.
- Select an appropriate UAV platform on which to mount the sensor system given the sensor design, including its size, weight, and power requirements, and coupled with requirements on operation and performance.
- Modify the sensor modality to accommodate installation on a typical, manned, fixed-wing aircraft.
- Choose from among established image processing techniques and test and develop an image processing workflow for post-processing of remote sensing data.
- Develop a tool to assist with mission planning and provide an environment for the identification and typing of unpaved roads before deployment.
- Meet with Technical Advisory Committee for reviewing project deliverables to date and to solicit input and guidance for the rest of the study.
- Integrate project results into the RoadSoft GIS decision support system to provide a demonstration of integrating post-processed remote sensing data and historical data to provide meaningful road condition metrics to end-users.
- Integrate the hardware and software developed in this project into a cohesive system for testing and deployment.
- Plan field-testing, the final demonstration, and transfer of results to end-users.
- Demonstrate the full capability of the remote sensing system for unpaved road condition assessment to stakeholders and other end-users.
- Assess the performance of the remote sensing system during the demonstration and provide an evaluation.
- Report on project's progress, the discussions and outcome of the Technical Advisory Committee meetings, and our obstacles and accomplishments to date in a series of quarterly reports to the project sponsor.
- Report on our results, the requirements analysis, the final sensor and platform selections, the software developed, the results of testing, the performance of the system in the field, and the delivery to stakeholders in a final project report.
- Share study results through appropriate presentations.
- Update and maintain www.mtri.org/unpaved project website with focus on professional outreach materials.
- Organize and meet with the Technical Advisory Committee for input on moving Unsurfaced Roads Condition Assessment System (URCAS) to full commercial implementation and providing advice on related project direction.
- Provide a state of the practice for available UAVs and systems that could be used for URCAS
- Prepare the URCAS remote sensing system (RSPS) project to be moved towards an operational commercial-ready product.
- Add additional assessment functionality for transportation agencies such as road geometry and encroachment.
- Develop and provide professional outreach for implementation to a nationwide audience.
- Work closely with the private sector to commercialize URCAS for day-to-day operation in light of new FAA regulations to take effect in early 2016.
- Demonstrate how URCAS is able to fulfill needs for system deficiency detection and damage prevention to transportation agencies for unpaved roads.
- Meet with Technical Advisory Committee for reviewing project progress and solicit input and guidance for remainder of the project.
- Extend GIS Decision Support System Tools to nationwide asset management tool for unpaved roads.
- Demonstrate and integrate unpaved road assessment methods with multiple transportation agency partners in multiple states, including field demonstrations and appropriate presentations.
- Report on project's progress, Technical Advisory Committee input, and obstacles and accomplishments in a series of quarterly reports to the project sponsor.
- Create and submit a Final Report summarizing the project deliverables, demonstrations, outreach, and commercialization activities.